Author Topic: MY OPINION ABOUT THIS DISTRO WATTOS 9  (Read 8142 times)

veggie

MY OPINION ABOUT THIS DISTRO WATTOS 9
« on: June 16, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »
My opinion about this Watt Os9 is this .....

Good thing is that its Ubuntu Based and LTS....Its light and runs fast..... It has Audacious..You have Firefox by default working with flash... good one dude!!! NOW FOR THAT BAD THINGSS

WHERE IS THE DARK SKIN THEME .... I HATE THAT FREAKING BRIGHT COLORS OF THIS DEFAULT THEME....
AND NOW TO A EXTREMELY IMPORTANT SOFTWARE... WHERE IS THE SCREENSHOT TOOL... YOU MUST HAVE ONE INSTALLED BY FREAKING DEFAULT!!!!! TO ME ITS CRUCIAL TO HAVE A SCREENSHOT TOOL. PUT SCROT ON IT AND YOU HAVE A GOOD ONE...

THESE TWO THINGS ARE ESSENTIAL TO ME. CRITICAL. I HAVE TO SAY MY EVALUATION OF THIS WATT OS 9 IS FROM A SCALE OF 1 TO 10 IS 3. SO ITS NOT VERY GOOD ... IN FACT IS VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PUT THOSE TWO THINGS AND I MIGHT RAISE IT TO A MUCH BETTER SCORE !

I AM VEGGIE AND THIS IS MY OPINION

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:09:48 AM by veggie »

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Ok.. firstly i appreciate everyone has their own opinions and that's the whole point of the forums.

Please avoid using all caps as it is deemed rude and "shouting" across all internet based communications and could lead to posts being removed or modified by one of us forum administrators.

Now to software..

Scrot... simply open terminal and issue the command

sudo apt-get install scrot

Fixed...

As for themes.. again i appreciate everyone has their own "unique" tastes... and themes can be installed by the user to suit his or her own requirements. Due to the many different types of themes out there, it is user preference as to what they like.

You might like the Dark GTK theme maybe .. one i like is the Dark Red.. installed via terminal by

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ambiance-dark-red

Be aware though that any scripts or themes you install are done so entirely at your own risk and we accept no responsibility for anything going wrong.

veggie

Your answers are good but again I say a distro without a screenshot tool by default is useless and also a dark theme is essential. TIll now I never saw a distro without a screenshot tool.
Its not a question of saying ... you do this install it bla bla bla...
People want to have it by default. If they test the distro and it hasn't  they move on to other distro. When I was testing it and I press print screen it comes with a error saying >>> Failed not present.. I'm like are you serious a distro without the screenshot tool?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Since it is too complicated to install a couple of applications for you veggie, I suggest you use something else.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
I'm not going to get into an argument on this but alot of ubuntu offshoots do not have scrot installed as base. Some use gnome's screen capture and others dont bother. I can see your point and fair enough.. It's hard to make a decent os as it is and even harder to please all. Biff does wattos purely in his spare time with no help or other coders about. Wattos is unique always has been and hopefully always will be! 

To quote a well known phrase. . You can please some people all of the time but not all the people most of the time!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Well spoken cheiron  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the conversation Cheiron. I always tend to make someone not happy :) Its ok as I am well over taking it personal after this many years.

There is scrot installed on microwatt but not the LXDE flavor.

I eliminate a lot of the themes and extras to cut down on size. The idea is that wattOS is a basis for you to add/change or make with it what you want. A lot of the time in the past I spent more time removing software I did not want vs adding what I do want.

Thanks for the kind words all. I know its not perfect, but its Linux and the beauty of that is that you can bend it how you like :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
^Ooh so true. I promise to exercise my patience a little bit  ;D

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
If I didn't know better, it sounds like this guy on YouTube who whines about Linux. He complains about everything.

veggie

I dont "wine"  and I am not on YouTube. I am a Linux User for years. My critics are to your Distro WattOS. I was very clear. The owner answered my complaints. He took the scrot screenshot tool off. That software is minimal and wouldnt pose a problem to the distro. Also the Black Theme wouldnt pose a problem in terms of size.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:40:46 AM by veggie »

veggie

I thank the distro owner for the answers and I tested  scrot worked and the dark theme was running good. There is a bug on the distro that comes from the Ubuntu version you have here. The usb port on my computer isnt working . the usb 3.0. In ubuntu it also fails so its a question of some code who isnt running okay. I can say that the Linux Zorin Os with the same version of ubuntu is working okay so they fixed this issue. I am here to alert the distro owner WattOS about this issue .

Dan

• View Profile
Re: MY OPINION ABOUT THIS DISTRO WATTOS 9
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
In all fairness to WattOS and the developer, it does say in the release announcement...

The result is a light, clean, fast desktop in both cases that can be used to bring old computers back to life or as a basis to start with a clean simple desktop for whatever use you decide to customize into.

I think the minimalistic approach that the developer has taken is great...allowing the user to add what they want instead of forcing the user to take what comes preinstalled. User's tastes vary. For example, I personally dislike GIMP...and don't want it on my system.  ;D  So, I will go through the effort to uninstall it and install Kolourpaint.

Having an OS that you can put what you want on, is perfect for me and others. My personal favorite screenshot tool is the Xfce Screenshooter. I added it to WattOS (without the extras that it would install) in less than a minute...

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install xfce4-screenshooter
So, as tastes vary, my hat is off to WattOS for the minimalistic approach and not bloating the OS.  ;)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  :)

James McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »
A simple but effect tool for screen snapshot could be LxScreenshot....

https://launchpad.net/lxscreenshot

...as for changing the look of WattOS R9 LXDE...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/9-great-lxde-themes/

...I use WattOS R9 only and not looked back.   8)

James
Indiana

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »
Thanks for the themes link James. Some really nice ones there.  :)