Author Topic: Live CD?  (Read 4488 times)

greyowl

• View Profile
Live CD?
« on: June 15, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »
I would like to try WattOS on my old laptop.  Can I use the download to create a Live CD?  Is there a passwork necessary.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, 1.6Ghz Pentium M processor, 1GB RAM, and 20GB HD.
Would WattOS automatically configure my wireless internet and printer?

Thanks for the help.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Live CD?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:24 AM »
you might be pushed to get it onto a "CD" as R9 32 bit weighs in at 711mb for the iso.. The more challenging "Microwatt" will fit onto a "CD" as its 586mb for the iso.

If you do not have a dvd drive on the computer, then you might be restricted a little bit as the full fat's need the iso on a "DVD" or possibly you might be able to burn the iso onto a usb stick and install that way.

But otherwise.. yes you can make a live cd. when you burn the image to disc (correct software needed) it burns as a Live CD in anycase for you to trial before you click the "Install" from the live menu :)

wireless is dependant on your wireless adapter.. printers we can discuss on this forum as we would need to know make etc

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »
D600 will boot from a USB stick, so you can use a variety of tools to download the ISO file from whatever version you like and make that work. I have booted a D500 (older vintage the than the D600) from USB and it worked well.

(as an aside the D500 wireless worked without any issues also, so while no guarantee the D600 will, it should and when running the livecd you will know right away)

otherwise straight CDROM optical media would be microwatt which has a little bit of a learning curve unless you install a different gui.

good luck...biff

greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging information.

I downloaded the Micro and burnt it to a CD.
I tried to boot it but it did not work.  It did a countdown to 1 second then stopped.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:08:27 PM by greyowl »

greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:25 PM »
I also tried wattOS-LXDE-R9-32 bits.
Again, it tried to boot and did a count down which stopped at 1 second.

This laptop usually requires a non-pae distro.  Could this be the problem?  Is R9 for pae computers?
Is their a non-pae version available, even an older version that would work on non-pae computer.

I have used pae distros but you have to forcepae.  Is this possible with R9?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:10:19 AM by greyowl »

greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:09:34 AM »
Please give me some help with this problem.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 05:08:45 AM »
Hi greyowl

This looks like one for Biff. Bear with us for a bit as he is on USA time.. not sure what time zone though

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »
Do you have the possibility to check if it boots as it should on another computer? Did you check the md5 sum of the downloaded iso?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
Do you have the possibility to check if it boots as it should on another computer? Did you check the md5 sum of the downloaded iso?

Thanks for the reply.

How do I check the md5 sum?

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »
If you are using Windows: http://www.winmd5.com/

If you are using Ubuntu based: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:37:47 AM »

I tried it in a newer laptop.  It worked fine except it did not detect the WiFi in the area.

I checked the MD5 Sums.  They did not match.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:38:20 AM »
If you've identified the correct MD5 sum for your download and the calculated MD5 doesn't match this then the best conclusion is that the download is less than perfect, and re-download is the best course of action.
If the downloaded iso isn't OK, then it's a frustrating, misleading fluke that it works at all.  Good luck with the fresh download.