Author Topic: [SOLVED]Update Flash Player to newer version  (Read 5287 times)

madjo

• wattOS R8 LXDE
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]Update Flash Player to newer version
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Hello people again, i need to upgrade Shockwave flash player (Iceweasel) from version 11.2.202.406 to version 11.2.202.442.

But when i'm tried update directly from Adds-on it shows me that there is no content !

So i manualy downloaded tar.gz package, but i dont know how to upgrade it. Surely, there is a instruction file but i need help cause i'm affraid to make something wrong!  :-\
I'm using WattOs R8 LXDE 32bit.

Thank in advance.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:08:41 PM by madjo »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Update Flash Player to newer version
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:49:08 PM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:51:29 PM by leenie »

Swaphead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
The Adobe Flashplayer, iirc, has had three serious problems already this year!

Like the OP I couldn't work out how to get the 442 version onto WATTOS R8 and this post may be of
no help at all since I have given away the R8 computer and can't remember how I left it. ???

As it was a slow machine - Flash was next to useless in FIREFOX, anyway.
IIRC, 1 option is to block Flash with the FLASHBLOCK add-on and to download the clip to your hard-drive with the FLASHGOT or DOWNLOADHELPER add-on: you don't have to wait for the download to complete before you start watching.

Going to  https://www.youtube.com/html5 allows you to flip between the FLASHPLAYER installed
and the HTML5 player as default - the default varies from browser to browser.
IIRC the default for MIDORI is HTML5.

Apologies for the vagueness of the post - but I was fiddling around with FLASHBLOCK,
GNASH/ADOBE, blocking/activating SHOCKWAVE via the PLUG-IN option in ADD-ONS
(all without really keeping track of what I was doing). DOH! ::)

Maroman

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
I'm using ver 442 (the newest for mozilla browsers on linux)

installed manually (due to hint on pointlinux forum. independently I've found some info http://www.libre-software.net/Install_Flash_Player_on_Ubuntu but with a little different solotion).
firstly go to adobe site https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the latest tar.gz flashplayer for linux (in my case install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz).
extract the file and find libflashplayer.so
copy/move the above file to ~/.mozilla/firefox/v0sbni6e.default/plugins directory (create the last one if needed, the name of directory with default extension might be different).
that's all

cheers,

madjo

• wattOS R8 LXDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
Great job @Maroman, and that is one effective but simple solution ! Thank you, now my flash player looks like this.

I created plugins directory,and put inside libflashplayer.so file.

But, there is one more thing: you must replace current libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree with unpacked libflashplayer.so. It needs root priviledges:
Code: [Select]
sudo chmod a+r+w+x /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so
and after that replace easily with new libflashplayer file.

Thanks everybody who tried to help me.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:10:24 PM by madjo »

Maroman

Re: [SOLVED]Update Flash Player to newer version
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:30:57 AM »
I've also noticed that the newest flash player can be obtained by re-installation of flashplugin-nonfree package. it downloads the latest flash plugin version however package is always not changed.

cheers,

Maroman

Re: [SOLVED]Update Flash Player to newer version
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:44:30 AM »
at the moment there is 11.2.202.457  version. reinstalling as described above works. however it's pity there in no info on the newer version when it comes (as it is in Salix for example).

cheers,