Author Topic: New to WattOS  (Read 3111 times)

revenger681

• View Profile
New to WattOS
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:46 AM »
Hello guys!

i just got done resurrecting an old win98' laptop using WattOS after finding it on a "Top 50 Linux Distros" article i found on google. So far i LOVE the OS. My old laptop (Compaq Presario R3000) used to be upgraded to xp, but since microsoft dropped support I needed a new OS. So far this works blazing fast and does just about everything I could want in a clean, orderly maner. My olny issue atm is packages telling me they need "Administrative privilages" which i tried using my password for and it does'nt seem to work. I tried the common "root" and "toor" pw's from Backtrack Linux to no avail. Once i get things more in order i look forward to getting to know this os better.
Found my answer here: http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=15.0 , lol. Simple.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:23:41 AM by revenger681 »

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New to WattOS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 04:05:09 AM »
Welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting and thanks for doing a little searching to fix your problem. Its an installer bug as the credentials are set correctly on liveCD to sudo, but revert to su upon install. I have not had time to get to the root cause, but I know that its annoying.

Thanks for sticking with it. I appreciate you joining up and giving it a spin. :)

We have old and new forums as we are transitioning..So lots of info in the old ones that are not directly applicable in many cases, but have a good bit of general linux knowledge in them also. We are trying to build up the new forums now that we have switched to Debian.

Thanks much and enjoy...biff

revenger681

• View Profile
Re: New to WattOS
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome :) yeah I've read about the live cd bug on a few posts now. It'll probably take some getting used to for members to move over to the new forums and etc, but over time it'll pick up I'm sure.

This flavor of Linux is great, my old laptop even runs steam great. I knew I'd be switching to Linux once more when the xp announcement was made. The laptop didn't even make the jump to service pack 2, Lol.

Perfect fit for an old laptop I won't use much, but still boot up now and then.