Author Topic: WattOS R8 MATE Problems: Is it just me?!..  (Read 17159 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WattOS R8 MATE Problems: Is it just me?!..
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »
Az4x4

you are the only one reporting the problem so far. So lets not get crazy about "widespread problems" there are other newbies using R8-64 mate.. I understand the frustration and there may be a bug to be found as its brand new mate 1.8 and new release...So lets troubleshoot.

Do me a favor and tell me what is the output of the "groups" command in a terminal.

Also take a screenshot of the password prompt screen when you launch gdebi, synaptic, whatever from the gui (not terminal) and paste it here if you can please. the SU and SUDO ones look different. (want to make sure your gksu-properties are right)

tks...biff

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
Also I noticed you said something earlier as well

"I rebooted using my root password. No problem" - just to be clear - you did not create a root account or something of the sort? allow login as root is disabled and the system is setup to emulate an ubuntu type environment where you elevate your privs with your password - essentially making you root temporarily to do whatever, but there is no "root" account by default.

also just to be clear one more time - you checked "gksu-properties" from terminal and its set to "sudo" and not "su" correct?

tks...biff

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »
I don't suppose you could have appended when installing a space at the end of the password, which is discounted in some places but rigidly enforced when looking for permission to install ?

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 01:25:13 AM »
I felt that this problem might be difference between 32bit and 64bit.
For example, install deb package for 32 bits in wattOS for 64 bits.
(In the downloading page of Google Chrome, a default becomes deb of 32bit)

Or deb package is damaged and may fail in installation.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:30:28 AM by BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. »
BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
Not being any type of expert..   but it's not unheard of for people to set some root type password before they change keyboard settings.. which in turn can change some symbols if used..... I have  more than one PC with a variation of keyboard layouts from differing languages, which i have messed up on install by doing the above..

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 01:16:27 AM »
Biff. Sorry it took some time to get back to you. Been busy setting my summer place in cool north-eastern Arizona up the way I want it and haven't stayed up with the conversation here as closely as I'd like to.

..what is the output of the "groups" command in a terminal..
mm7@mm7:~$ groups
mm7 cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev scanner bluetooth netdev
mm7@mm7:~$

..Also take a screenshot of the password prompt screen when you launch gdebi, synaptic, whatever from the gui (not terminal) and paste it here if you can please. the SU and SUDO ones look different. (want to make sure your gksu-properties are right)..

Unfortunately, when I open gdebi and bring up the password prompt it locks the entire system up, not allowing me to do anything other than enter my password or cancel out. Won't let me capture a screenshot image or do anything else when it's open..

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I've continued to pursue the issue of R8 MATE 64bit failing to recognize my password when I launch apps such as Gdebi, apps that depend on password authorization to run. Even in Virtualbox, when I try to install the latest Extension Pack, the problem rears its ugly head and won't let me proceed. So far the best I've come up with is to make sure gksu-properties is set to *sudo* instead of *su*. However even with that set correctly the issue of my password being rejected as *incorrect*, even though it's not, remains the same - still not working..

I'll continue to monitor this forum and elsewhere for a possible solution to this problem. In the meanwhile I'll move on to less troublesome things and return for another look at R8 some other time..

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
Thanks Biff. The unofficial .deb fix for Mozo in MATE 1.8 works a charm. You're right to wait till the upstream packages get fixed to rectify this error in R8, but for those who need to access the Main Menu Editor before that happens the unofficial fix works perfectly..

No it doesn't as per my topic @ http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=163.0.