Author Topic: WattOS R8 MATE Problems: Is it just me?!..  (Read 17100 times)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: WattOS R8 MATE Problems: Is it just me?!..
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
This one will be for Biff then to answer as he writes mate himself and customises it personally.

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Unbelieveable!! It cut my message short once again.. What he said was: the only problem I had was that Update Manager and GDebi didn
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:00:46 PM by Az4x4 »

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
I give up!!!... At least for now!

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
Let's see what Biff has to say about the non-functioning Menu Editor in R8 MATE 64 bit.. Maybe he's changed some things in customizing MATE that have had unintended consequences..

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »
In the meantime I'll reboot to my 64bit Debian Wheezy Point Linux MATE installation and use it. It works perfectly, no problems at all. I'll keep current with the message board, and if someone offers suggestions that work with R8 MATE as I seek to solve these two issues I'll be greatly relieved!.. Hate it when things don't work as they're designed to..

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 07:24:01 PM »
It could be something in Mozo (usr/bin/mozo) not set right... only guessing here. Hopefully Biff will get on this when he comes online

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
The menu editing problem you are noting is an upstream packaging problem. We are running the newer mate 1.8 and the program that does this is called 'mozo'. If you launch it from command line you will see the error..

This is a mate 1.8 problem for any Debian release running it, not just wattOS....older 1.6 does not have the problem which is why you have not seen it.

https://github.com/mate-desktop/debian-packages/issues/55

Below is a github link discussing. The fix has been applied, just not been replicated to the repos yet it appears.

Looks like someone made their own unofficial .deb fix for it if you want to use it, but I am going to wait for the upstream packages to get fixed officially on this error.

biff

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
..Why are my posts being cut short? That's twice now that about half of what I've written has simply disappeared when I post it. When I preview my posts they're all there. But once posted they leave out big parts of my message!.. So here's yet another thing to be concerned with!..

Your quotes are being cut short any time you use an apostrophe. Its something I discovered yesterday...Looking into a fix...but until then, leave apostrophes out....new forum bumps..please be patient.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
testing fix for apostrophe let's see if it works now

I am going to post a few test words here

it's
don't
let's

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »
Problem fixed :) - resume your normal apostrophe included posting :)

was a DB encoding problem (changed to utf-8 fixed it).

enjoy

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 10:35:08 PM »
...Looks like someone made their own unofficial .deb fix for it if you want to use it, but I am going to wait for the upstream packages to get fixed officially on this error.

biff
Thanks Biff. The unofficial .deb fix for Mozo in MATE 1.8 works a charm. You're right to wait till the upstream packages get fixed to rectify this error in R8, but for those who need to access the Main Menu Editor before that happens the unofficial fix works perfectly..

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 10:40:49 PM »
Now if there were a way to get Gdebi to recognize root passwords in R8 64bit Mate without having to open it via the Terminal, then both issues I've noted here could be marked solved!..

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
a method of settlement to use Chromium in substitution for Google Chrome.
This will be familiar in former wattOS.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install chromium chromium-l10n
BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

Az4x4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
A solution for the failure to recognize and accept proper root passwords in R8 MATE 64bit continues to elude me. Not only does this error show up when attempting to use Gdebi, but it shows up in anything else I run that needs root authorization.

The latest was with Virtualbox. Downloaded the latest VB .deb file and successfully installed it by running gdebi-gtk in Terminal. Once Virtualbox was installed, when I sought to add the latest VB Extensions to it Virtualbox itself asked for root authorization to do so. When I *correctly* entered my root password I was once again informed that my password was "incorrect".. Not good!!

Don't know for sure what it will take to correct this wide spread issue, but for the moment it's on the brink of being a deal breaker with WattOS R8 MATE 64bit -- at least with newbies, till it's finally and completely fixed.. Any working solution would be MORE than welcome!!!..

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
Out loud thoughts more than anything....

You're using virtual box.. i'm using virtual manager (but then i am on wattos 7.5 lxde for base pc) and mate works with passwords with me no problems and i cant seem to replicate your problem with the passwords..

just idly wondering if virtual box and virtual machine are that different enough to try with the other...