Author Topic: Spamming and getting banned  (Read 5038 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Spamming and getting banned
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
Generally speaking everyone that joins the forums are contributing and positive. So I appreciate that.

However I have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to deleting accounts. So be sure when you create an account that is has pertinent information about yourself. There are several people that can ban/delete people, and they can do it at their own discretion.

Couple tips to be sure that does not happen to you.

1. complete a reasonable profile (as much as you are comfortable)
2. If you link to another site/hobby, etc. be clear about it. many spammers get deleted simply because they create an account and put a link in their signature.
3. Don't post ads - if you want to promote something, let me know and I will consider it, or if its linux related.
4. keep the language, content reasonably PG-13 - feel free to rant, but do so by making points and humor, not profanity.

Most of all enjoy the community and Linux. Both are pretty cool  :D

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: Spamming and getting banned
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:30:30 PM »
For the regular members here..

Many thanks for your continual support of WattOS and the reporting of spam posts on our site. We are having a mini flood of them once again, no doubt due to the time of year, but we are on it and with your help .. we will keep on top of things :)

from about 10am uk time till 8pm uk time i think i have removed at least 60 accounts just today and still going!!

Biff.. turn off signups for time being please

Thanks from the Admin Team
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:44:08 PM by cheiron »

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spamming and getting banned
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:30 AM »
Thanks for the help.....

I have banned some top level domains from creating accounts for a while. Lets see if that slows things down...

If you cannot create an account because you are banned and are legitimate, email admin at planetwatt dot com and you will get an account created.

tks...biff