Author Topic: May wait for WattOS R9  (Read 1942 times)

ausmuso

May wait for WattOS R9
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:36:03 AM »
Hi all,
I'm an 80-year old retired elecrical engineer and although I'm new to WattOS i've been working with Linux for years.

I have given WattOS R8 a thorough test drive for a week or two. There's much to like about it, also some hiccups that may be due to the recent change from Ubuntu to Debian repositories. From the forums it seems as if Biffbaxter may still be on a steep learning curve. Perhaps I should wait until R9 appears in a few months time and then try again.

The thing is, WattOS is now in direct competition with at least two other well-established solid distros based on Debian Wheezy. Both are easy to install. First there is Crunchbang, a pretty minimal distro with an OpenBox desktop. It has a very clever welcome dialogue which makes it very easy to add various additional features you may want. This way you can build a system will fit anything from a small old EeePC notebook to a lavish desktop setup. If OpenBox should be a bit too radical for you it's a trivial step to put LXDE on top of it.

Then there is Point Linux, a comfortable and rock-solid distro with a Maté desktop. Does WattOS provide anything I'm not already getting from either Crunchbang or Point Linux? So far I haven't found anything yet. Maybe I should have another close look when R9 comes about?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: May wait for WattOS R9
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
We all have to find what one like and what fits ones personal preferences I guess. Good to know that there is plenty of things to choose from in Linux land. Welcome to the forums by the way.  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)