Author Topic: R9 Information  (Read 24883 times)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
Re: R9 Information
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »
So back to Ubuntu it is. LTS only, or ? Hmmm, about this I feel very  :-\
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »
wattOS will continue to be very lightweight. I build it from scratch from the mini iso, and hand select the packages and look over the dependencies very carefully to minimize bloat. It takes a while, but I feel like it helps, and why it always is a very responsive system.

To be frank, the Debian folks have not been the "warmest" when it comes to Debian related discussions and support. There are certainly a lot of good people, but the moment you do something that deviates from Debian standard, they tell you its your issue. In any case, I will post some progress here again in the next few days and some more info...thanks all for being patient, and even if ubuntu is not your flavor, give this a spin and see what you think...

tks....biff

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 06:39:51 AM »
wattos has always been the fastest no argument there  ;) ;D btw will it be LTS ???

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 04:42:02 AM »
Will be patient , and will check it out. Got some ehm...unstable stuff to entertain me while waiting, so no hurry.  ;D
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

hughtmccullough

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 05:33:40 PM »
The reason I recently put a LOT of effort into getting WattOS R8 working was because of compatibility problems I was having with Ubuntu.  Going back to the WattOS Debian base got rid of those and I still had a nice lightweight LXDE/Openbox desktop.  I have read that upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie is normally a fairly painless process but I assume it won't work if I try it for the reasons mentioned above, i.e. the "deviation form Debian standard".  The one upgrade I really need is libc6 as more and more software is demanding v2.14 and above, some 2.17, and the current WattOS repositories only support version 2.13, even in the wheezy backports.  To say that I am disappointed with the idea of going back to Ubuntu would be putting it mildly but I do realise the world doesn't revolve around me.

It is a real shame that the diversity within Linux is starting to cause a Tower-of-Babel effect where if you move out of your cosy little corner within the Linux world you run into all sorts of issues.  Diversity is more and more becoming fragmentation.

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »
Just try the Debian Jessie LXDE/Openbox, which will be the next stable release. It is already very stable, should not be any problem.

hughtmccullough

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »
blaze, thanks.

Where do I get Debian Jessie LXDE/Openbox?  I haven't been able to find this anywhere.  Do I have to install another version of Debian and then add LXDE as a package?  I have read information about that but it seems that it takes a lot of setting up.  Is there a small/core distribution of Debian Jessie like WattOS or just the full bloat?  What is the best way to go?

Maroman

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2015, 07:15:49 PM »
Where do I get Debian Jessie LXDE/Openbox?  I haven't been able to find this anywhere. 
just write in terminal
Code: [Select]
wget -c http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-lxde-CD-1.isoimages are delivered weekly

cheers,

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2015, 03:06:46 AM »
what happened to your website? it was down for a long time?

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:06 AM »
Hi there...not sure how long it was down. I got an email alert from my hosting provider and think it was up within a couple hours...did you notice it longer?

Oh and yes LTS for the release..

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
^Thanks, the  8) choice.  :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 01:47:14 AM »
LTS works for me!!!

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:19 AM »
atleast 48 hours :) and that's awesome :)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »
Good news folks...release date is coming. testing has been under way for a couple weeks..... I will not reveal all the details now, but I can tell you this....It will be less that 1 week from now :)

Thanks for the patience...some interesting news about the versions and thoughts in the next couple days.

enjoy
biff

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2015, 03:46:49 AM »
what about having firefox esr as a browser of choice?  :)