Author Topic: R9 Information  (Read 24746 times)

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
Re: R9 Information
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »
There is not the movement that is new in Debian-based distribution for the moment.

Lubuntu has begun to exclude some languages to maintain CD size.
A limit of the CD size seems to come over.
BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »
The person concerned leads and pushes forward MX-14(MX Linux) than antiX.
wheezy-based MX-14.3 was just released:

http://antix.mepis.org/
http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx/

A package of MX Linux is behind with the development of current antiX and is reflected.
The person concerned will make jessie base in MX-15.
but the topic has not yet occurred now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:11:14 AM by BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. »
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 02:20:08 AM »
Ubuntu MATE is not Ubuntu formula flavor now, but the reaction is good:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

There is a person evaluating MATE desktop succeeding GNOME 2.
Ubuntu MATE is conscious of Ubuntu of the GNOME 2 era.
Therefore this does not greatly mind ISO size. Current ISO size is quite 1G byte.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still looking and compiling options. Will be doing so for a few more days over the holiday. I will then post the first run of applications. It will likely be not a huge surprise as the goal is the move to Jessie and polishing and refining while keeping things minimal and functional and as smooth as possible. One exception being Microwatt that will likely have a good bit of retooling.

Still looking at a January release as indicated previously. (likely between Jan 12th and 18th)

Leenie and Cheiron - there are Christmas surprises coming your way. (really overdue)  :)

Happy holidays everyone...I will be online over the holidays and watching things.

biff

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Thank you so much Biff. I am excited to try out the new wattOS 9. I will install it on a used laptop (yet to be purchased) so I can show others how nice it works. My granddaughter, Katira is 7 1/2 and learning about Linux!! She was asking me about the specs on her little pc just the other day....

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »
Merry xmas Biff, Leenie and others!

My gift arrived today Biff thanks in the post  8)

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
Belatedly, some comments.
I support using Debian, and Jessie (stable).   I also think that LXDE and Mate are the best choices for R9.
On installers :  if still researching, Tanglu distro is product of some Debian developers, and their recent release has a new debian-installer (avoid, as they recommend, the live installer)
I'd like to think that anyone without a separate /home partition has a backup strategy, and hence there's no critical need for a rolling upgrade.

My view is that the iso should focus on getting the distro installed.  Applications can come later, via synaptic or custom menu items/desktop icons covering key areas such as optional multimedia (players, codecs, ..) and optional "big" applications (Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Gimp).  Where practicable, issues on Broadcom and nVidia should be addressed in preference to adding more applications IMO, and the basic install should permit new users to report the sort of detail support people ask for ... (so :  inxi and/or hardinfo and/or ....). 
I suggest Pale Moon as browser - lighter, not bleeding edge, essentially Firefox.
If feasible, I suggest that the default (but not only choice) config for users who choose to install on "full disk" should feature a separate /home partition.  This approach makes later upgrades, and interim backups, more manageable and less risky.    Only the smallest HDDs would be an issue. 

microwatt has been a goal from waaay back, and I can understand your disappointment that it hasn't gone smoothly.  I also understand the 64-bit version being first to be dropped - as I recall, microwatt was to be an even lower demand on resources than mainstream wattOS for those who could manage without the more elaborate desktops, fitting in with the notions of lower power, less resource wastage, keeping computers viable while reasonably practical.   A stripped-down rocketship on a 64-bit platform with modern cpu and heaps of RAM is a different concept - fun, but different.    IMO, of course.   :-) 

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »
i think it would be a good idea to use an older kernel then follow debian's i mean think about every single new kernel is for newer hardware. and use true gnome 2. over mate.

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
also lubuntu plans to move over to lxqt whitch will require more ram. the best thing for wattos is to start using older versions of DE like q4os does. they use kde 3 series. i remember ubuntu 8.04 ran on just about anything i threw at it.  even got compiz to work on a 32 gpu. nividia geforce 2 mx 200 if i remember right. xfce was super light too.pitty everything went down hill after gnome 3 came out. also use firefox esr channel, atleast you don't have to worry about your addons breaking.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:09:22 AM by lordmmx »

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 04:46:21 AM »
Because everyone likes pictures....R9 login and desktop - LXDE

And Base Desktop

More to follow in the next week. :) - happy holidays.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »
Thanks for the preview shots Biff and look forward to the next step

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
Nice!

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
Will be able to choose the init system we prefer to use?

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 12:03:31 PM »
Looking nice biffbaxter, keep it up! @cusco... I doubt that, but we will see.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

lordmmx

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
biff do you plan to go with lxqt in the future? because if so it will be a big mistake. :(