Author Topic: What has impressed me the most with wattOS R8 ...  (Read 3148 times)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
What has impressed me the most with wattOS R8 ...
« on: October 13, 2014, 01:32:32 AM »
Hi Biff et al,

It took me a while to finally settle on a distribution for the old Desktop computer (CPU: Pentium P4 2.66 GHz; RAM: 512 MB, 333MHz; 40 GB Hard Drive, 58 MB/s) I am renovating for my Landlord.

The critical factors, that finally swayed me to select wattOS R8 LXDE 32-bit, were the speed and low memory footprint of wattOS R8.

I couldn't appreciate how low the memory footprint was, though, until I actually installed it. Unlike other distros I had installed there was an actual, and significant, drop of 20 MB in the memory footprint measured when the Desktop had become active (77 MB). This is really good for a computer that only has 512 MB to work with. Every little bit helps. The computer gets to the Login prompt in 45 seconds whereas the previously installed Windows XP Professional SP3 was taking 52 seconds until the Desktop was stabilised enough to start using it.

I would like to know if there is an equally significant drop in the memory foot print when the MATE version is installed.

I am really hoping that 64-bit versions of R9 will support UEFI (Secure Boot disabled) so that I can try them on my Laptop.

Kudos and Thanks, Michael.

James McCoy

• View Profile
Re: What has impressed me the most with wattOS R8 ...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
I have been watching youtube videos about WattOS R8 LXDE and...  it is fast! A question comes to my mind though. WattOS R8 is based on Debian and I wonder what is the difference in installing WattOS R8 LXDE and installing a full Debian 7 distro with the LXDE metapackage?

Both appear rock solid stable and with LXDE - fast fast Fast!

James
Indiana / USA

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
WattOS R8 is based on debian wheezy and jessie for the main bits only.. everything else is customised around it. also out of the box... R8 is non pae so there are alot of changes been made at time of creation. Also.. Watt is very lacking in bloat from pre-installed apps and stuff

Thats the main difference that i am aware of!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »
The out of the box experience is much smoother with wattOS than Debian, so ther is a little bit more to do by yourself when choosing pure Debian. It is mostly up to personal preferences.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:32:10 PM by blaze »
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)