Author Topic: wattOS R9 Suggestions  (Read 12127 times)

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
wattOS R9 Suggestions
« on: September 06, 2014, 01:43:22 AM »
Hi Biff et al,

How's about including support for UEFI and persistence?

Thanks, Michael.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: wattOS R9 Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Previous editions of Watt have done really well with the lxde front using ubuntu .. i for one would love to see ubuntu back but in a very very different light. 

I would love to see a WattOS R9 remaster of lxle, which basically is lubuntu 14.04 on some serious steroids!! only downside to lxle is its physical size but then pretty comes with a hefty megabyte price tag i guess. Of all the buntu offspins, this has been for me by far the most superior and problem free version out.

The other remaster i would like to see in place of microwatt is that is a truely minute os remaster of say ... Slitaz for example. Take the fight to the likes of DSL, TinyCore, etc

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
I still like Debian, but maybe based on the testing version?

I do like LXLE, but it's based on Lubuntu 12.04 for i386.

Hmm, maybe for ppc too? I have access to some old Emacs....

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »
i used to use the 12.04 lxle but i changed to the new 14.04 once it got released and they did a really good job with the upgrade.

i dont personally own a mac but i do like the idea :)

frayja2002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:54:34 PM »
I would definitely like to see you continue with the mate desktop.

I have used the lxde in previous times but changed ... found mate to be easier to customize.

I like the debian as I had a lot of stability problems in watt 7.5 (crashing programs)
Please stick with LTS (if that is not already the idea) - seems silly to me to be doing all that work & then its out of date 6 months later.

Keep up the good work

Thanks
frayja2002

zephyr

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:34 AM »
Been using Linux for about a year now, and find Watt OS R8-LXDE the most complete distro when it comes to everything working. Very amazed on how the stability and memory usage is very low. I like LXDE a lot, although I use VSIDO/fluxbox and #!/ openbox as well, both are excellent distro's. I download a lot, try them out and see whats broken, this OS is a beautiful work of art. Really, what ever happens with R9 is a wait and see, all I can say is keep up the great work producing a first class OS. I didn't do anything with this OS but put my archives on it, conky it, and themed it, and enjoy the bliss. Thanks to all who helped put this together. I would like to see a 64 bit Microwatt in the future, thanks again. Also, great that it's Debian, not fond of ubuntu, just too many issues.  zephyr   

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
Hi Biff et al,

Another thing I'd like to see is Graphical Applications/Plug-ins for changing Keyboard Layout and Language/Locale in both the LXDE and MATE versions.

Thanks, Michael.

frayja2002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 05:27:29 AM »
hi there

I dont know if this is the right place to put this but I think it would be a good idea for future versions.

If you download the package "most " & add the following line to /etc/profile

export PAGE=most

Now when you look at the man pages they are a lot more legible.

I thought this would be a good thing to have set up by default in the new versions with very little space cost.

thanks
Alex

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• View Profile
    • Japanese Information
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
I participate in IRC and want to suggest wattOS R9.
but as for me who live in Japan, the timing is not correct.
and I cannot decode English in real time.
Therefore I have a demand to wattOS R9 here.

The big demand from me is one.
It is to include the unicode font of Asia language in wattOS ISO,
and this font is installed.

I wanted this to realize in wattOS R8.
When the Japanese users installs wattOS R8 LXDE and Microwatt,
the user watches abnormal output there.

Asia users is necessary for exclusive input method,
but it increases size of the ISO very much.
I do not hope for it in wattOS, The users can easily install it in Synaptic or apt.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:31:07 PM by BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. »
BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) from Japan
Japanese Information http://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/wattos/

zephyr

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »
WattOS R9 should be Debian Sid, Crunchbang and all other progressive Debian Distro's will be or are now , WattOS is quite an achievement, it works and works quite well, meaning all aspects of WattOS is fuctional, and fast.  Take Watt OS forward and make it a clear debut of awesome. Nuff said. zephyr

cuscotravelservices

• View Profile
    • Cusco Travel Services
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »
WattOS R9 should be Debian Sid, Crunchbang and all other progressive Debian Distro's will be or are now , WattOS is quite an achievement, it works and works quite well, meaning all aspects of WattOS is fuctional, and fast.  Take Watt OS forward and make it a clear debut of awesome. Nuff said. zephyr

Debian Sid is unstable!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
Crunchbang is based on Debian stable. If you want to run sid on #! you have to do it yourself.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

zephyr

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »
Ubuntu is unstable, Debian Sid is cutting, bleeding edge of Debian, and for a year now not crashed once. Plus all the fully upgraded software is tested and released. Crunchbang is going to Sid, and it is the best Openbox distro, VSIDO has always been Sid, and not once crashed for me or had a bad experience. I run 6 hard drives, all Sid Distro's. I would not run anything else. Try it out, easy to do. Sid is super stable, it is given the name unstable because it is above the "testing" end of release, but in my opinion, very stable. I also have "experimental" repositories and found yes that can play havoc with some apps, so I know what not to have installed. I just think that WattOS is a great distro, and the folks who are the minds and talent behind it be a little more aggressive with the distro. But, then again leave it as it is, and let the user chose what he would like to run. I am very impressed with how well the transition went and smooth, can't be done with a lot of distro's and I just believe that WattOS is a great example of a well defined, and stable OS. I have also added Fluxbox and Awesome DE's to WattOS, interesting is how well the distro adapts to these desktop environments.   Plus, I just think Ubuntu is trying to be controlling by creating the Canonical of software. I am a noob to Linux, experimented heavily, learn as much as can, and enjoy the distro's as hobby. Sid is best, just don't want to see a great distro be left behind and not step up and be a greater distro than it is.  You can add the Liquorix kernel on as well.  -zephyr

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
Crunchbang is going to Sid

On what do you base this assumption?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

zephyr

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
Just facts. So much negativity, so much complacency, need to stay away from these children. very unfriendly forum - zephyr