Author Topic: Old Old pc's and WattOS  (Read 5045 times)

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Old Old pc's and WattOS
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:32:23 PM »
I've noticed with linux of late that so many, include old faithful - Debian, are now moving in a direction that old old pc's simply cant be used anymore..

Now WattOS has always been good with old pc's but this too is getting hard due to LTS's being used.

I reckon an adventure could be worth a look at by Biff into old pc support as I use a linux system that can still be installed (and current) on Pentium 3's (1000Mhz copperhead)

It's not ubuntu based... its not red hat or centos or debian or any of the mainstream distros either... Its the very small (30mb iso!!!!! and a stupid 100mb hard drive installed) designed to be used with a pc with just 256mb ram. (16 MB of RAM and a little swap memory is possible if you really want to get nerdy)

BusyBox, a recent Linux kernel and GNU software. It boots with Syslinux and provides more than 200 Linux commands, the lighttpd web server, SQLite database, rescue tools, IRC client, SSH client and server powered by Dropbear, X window system, JWM (Joe's Window Manager), gFTP, Geany IDE, Mozilla Firefox, AlsaPlayer, GParted, a sound file editor and more is what it can come with.. i know it will happily run midori, and it can connect to wpa2-psk.. so modern wifi is catered for.

Downsides.... tazpkg for packages and tazpanel.. so limited there, no persistance either... but can be added if wanted only with ext2, 3  along with syslinux or extlinux boot loader.. last downside really.... its GNU/Linux  ;D ;D ;D  so not for the real newcomers to linux.

What do you guys think on this firstly re keeping old stuff alive...

Also Biff... whats your thoughts as it would be you building it  ;)

Swaphead

• View Profile
Re: Old Old pc's and WattOS
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
The machine I am writing this on is a single-core Pentium 4 2ghz running WATTOS R6 LTS.
I also have a dual core machine plugged into the TV for watching downloaded films etc.

As time goes by I'm noticing how even the dual core machine seems sluggish on some web pages.
The single core machine is of course worse, often struggling when scrolling in EBAY, for example, and
when copying files around. I no longer bother to keep it up-to-date because updates take so long and are so heavy on the CPU.

I have a couple of old P3 machines which are still useable for office/playing audio/forum-ing (at a pinch) but I've not had them plugged in for ages. They really can't cope any longer - I think it's as
much to do with the graphics chip as the CPU. Then again, my technical knowledge is very limited.
For that reason, while I like to use Linux to resurrect old machines that can't handle Winbloat
I need the security of an LTS if I am to give the machine to someone else with even less
technical knowledge than myself. Plus there is sometimes an advantage in having current software: e.g. I found, during the Adobe flashplayer virus fiasco, that the version of GNASH
in 14.04 actually worked (after a fashion) whereas the version in 12.04  did not work at all.

A year or two ago, looking on EBAY, most of the bargain basement machines were single core - now
there is little demand for them because there are so many secondhand dual-core machines for sale.

From my point-of-view single core P4's are only borderline usable (the CPU &/or graphics chip may be too slow for the proposed usage)

P3's are antiques - but there are plenty of antiques lovers out there, so each to his own :)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Yeah time marches on...I feel the same way.

I think wattOS will continue to move ahead and still effort to stay as slim as possible and reserve microwatt for the "experimental" small and usable as possible format. I presume you are talking about SliTaz which is a small distro that I love! I have also looked at the Tiny Core a good bit. Also way back in time one of my favorites was Vector linux. I installed and sold several hundred old Dell systems running a customized Vector Linux which was the basis for me wanting to roll my own as I got tired of customizing Vector for what I wanted. But as a basis for a build it was great. (Slackware based).

The only issue with Microwatt being a different parent OS altogether of course is support and confusion potential amongst end users. One of the reasons for the slow roll as of late is the reevaluation of time required to make something "clean" and usable for end users. Debian is perfectly good, but there is a good bit of fiddling with it to make it work for mainstream purposes and adding additional repos, nonstandard stuff you have to do, etc.... (I use Linux as my primary OS daily for work) Ubuntu has certainly addressed that as most applications work and if you have the horsepower (I run a i7 with 12GB of RAM) then its as responsive as needed. I still don't like Unity and all the call home features so I strip that out and run i3 or in a pinch gnome or mate'.

I have been running the basis for R9 for the last 45 days and its been solid so the work is underway on getting the flavors built and deployed that everyone has been patiently waiting for. Microwatt so far has not been touched because I have to make a decision on how to handle that...I am still noodling on it as you can see...But dialog is good.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
I am indeed referring to SliTaz!  Tiny, still currently new in terms of software, but requirements old enough even for the old copperhead p3 cpus :)

out of tiny... vector and slitaz... i would only go with the slitaz purely on hardware compatability.. plus slitaz ironically... will run on the raspberry pi :D

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:15:55 PM »
Don't forget antiX! It still works with those really old processors. I have it installed on my Gateway Solo 3100.
Humble specs- 160 mb ram, 233 mhz processor. I had to install Qupzilla to browse, and use JWM.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
i tried antix and could never get on with it lol!

but yes.. you're right .. that is also a oldie pc distro :)

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »
antiX does take some getting used to.  ;)  It is fast on most anything you install it on.