Author Topic: Feedback for wattOS R10 and Microwatt R10 for i386  (Read 2823 times)

Spielmps

• View Profile
Feedback for wattOS R10 and Microwatt R10 for i386
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
I'm searching for a good actual OS for my old Thinkpad 570 (no Letter before or after) from 1999. So I tried wattOS, first on my modern Laptop. It starts good, looks good and Network-connection via Wifi is easy. Then I tried this OS with my Thinkpad: 300MByte RAM and a swap-partiton on HD. Normal Live-mode-boot did not work, it stopped after guest-login with a black screen. Failsafe-mode with vesa-video worked after 15 minutes. Working with this edition was not really possible, to much RAM-usage and CPU often at 100%.

I rechecked RAM-Usage on a not so old Laptop: 180Mbyte after boot is to much! And to much processes - 153 lines in htop. If this Linux-Edition should run on older Computers, then there is a lot "slim down" to do.

For comparison: antix-Linux uses 80 MByte RAM and I count 38 lines in htop.

I tried microwatt to: it's a funny concept with that windowmanager, but nothing for work ...

Spielmops

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback for wattOS R10 and Microwatt R10 for i386
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:54 AM »
Check out Bunsen labs! I have it running on old Gateway Solo 3100. 160 MB ram and 233 mghz processor. I have to use NetSurf browser, but it runs!