Author Topic: scrot  (Read 4553 times)

seppalta

• View Profile
scrot
« on: June 30, 2017, 06:26:28 AM »
A discussion about scrot was started in the previous entry.  I thought it deserved its own block.   To see what is possible command-wise, put scrot --help in your terminal.  I put scrot commands right on my root menu (schema.pl from obmenu-generator), so I can take shots as quickly as I can click the menu entry.  I program them to go directly to an image editor, but they could just as easily be saved in some file.  For my menu command set-up, see http://lxlinux.com/obmenu-generator.html.

cheiron

• Global Moderator
  • Site Moderator for Planetwatt.com
    • View Profile
Re: scrot
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
You can also add a menu interface on the start menu once scrot is installed via adding the following to (openbox) root menu :)

Code: [Select]

<menu id="graphicsScreenshots" label="Scrot" icon="/usr/share/icons/scshoot.png">
<item label="Now" icon="/usr/share/icons/scrot0.png">
<action name="Execute">
<command>
scrot '/home/me/Pictures/scrots/%Y-%m-%d--%s_$wx$h_scrot.png'
</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="In 5 Seconds..." icon="/usr/share/icons/scrot5.png">
<action name="Execute">
<command>
scrot -d 5 '/home/me/Pictures/scrots//%Y-%m-%d--%s_$wx$h_scrot.png'
</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="In 10 Seconds..." icon="/usr/share/icons/scrot10.png">
<action name="Execute">
<command>
scrot -d 10 '/home/me/Pictures/scrots/%Y-%m-%d--%s_$wx$h_scrot.png'
</command>
</action>
</item>
<item label="Selected Area... (click &amp; drag mouse)" icon="/usr/share/icons/scrot.png">
<action name="Execute">
<command>
scrot -s '/home/me/Pictures/scrots/%Y-%m-%d--%s_$wx$h_scrot.png'
</command>
</action>
</item>
</menu>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:08:30 AM by cheiron »

veggie

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
In WattOS 9 scrot wasn't installed. It was easy for me to install it and by default the screenshots would go to the Home Folder. So that was great. In WattOS 11 what I wish is for scrot not be installed by default. That way I can install it and all will work 100%! I can take several screenshots in seconds and all will go to the right folder.

Thanks

veggie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »
Cheiron that is too technical for me to do. And I just wish to be able to install it by default so it can work flawlessly!

veggie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »
I have tried again WattOS 10 and the screenshot tool there by default it is Gnome Screenshot . I also noticed that scrot is also installed  although it doesn't work. So there are 2 screenshot tools in WattOs 10.

GNOME Screenshot is a utility used in the GNOME desktop environment for taking screenshots. It was part of the GNOME Utilities (gnome-utils) package, but was split into its own package.

Gnome Screenshot is useless to me because of those pop ups it does everytime I try to take a screenshot. If I uninstall the Gnome Screenshot ... scrot doesn't take its place. The screenshot key on the keyboard just stops to work and a message pops up saying Gnome Screenshot isn't installed.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
Scrot by itself would be command line only!

veggie

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 05:32:01 AM »
I hope for scrot to be the screenshot /printscreen tool on WattOs 11 . It is not a command line only. I just have to press the PrintScreen keyboard key and it automatically takes a screenshot and puts it in the right file place the Home FOlder. Simple and easy .