Author Topic: Flash or alternative Flash player?  (Read 1721 times)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
Flash or alternative Flash player?
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
I've just registered on the forum as a new WattOS user. I haven't installed R10 yet so I'm still using Mint 18 at this point. I've spent the last 2 weeks searching the 'Net for the best lightweight distro that will still allow me to install the packages/apps I'll be wanting to use. At this point I've narrowed it down to WattOS and Linux Lite. I'm leaning heavily towards WattOS due to the extreme lightweight install that it presents as well as the fact that LXDE is the default desktop. Lite defaults to XFCE and while there isn't a lot wrong with XFCE it is a bit heavier than LXDE. While there is nothing specifically wrong with Mint, I have experienced slow downs on 2 laptops and my desktop. By slowdowns, I mean that over a period of months everything about my Mint installs has gotten slower and slower, to include boot up time, time required to open apps, and especially in Firefox. Thus my desire to find a solid, lightweight distro that hopefully won't be troubled with such problems.

Part of the reason I haven't yet installed is that I wanted to research and be sure I'll be able to eventually have WattOS R10 setup with everything I need/want. One of the areas that stands out at this point is with Flash. Flash is a sticky point for all Linux users right now, I know. I'd like to read what some of you more experienced WattOS users have decided to do about Flash on your computers. Are you using Flash, or an alternative, or just ignoring Flash altogether? Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

I have two other questions that I'll ask after I've read over what the best way to handle the Flash situation is. Thanks in advance.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Flash or alternative Flash player?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:31:05 AM »
Have to know what browser you use.

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
Oops. Sorry about that. I use Firefox.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:55:02 AM »
Try this: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015/10/ipepper-flash-for-firefox-ubuntu-15-10/  There is no Software Center in wattOS (and if you don't like using the terminal) you can search Synaptic Package Manager for "browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash". Enjoy and welcome to wattOS.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:06:48 AM by leenie »

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
@smhardesty
Have you installed wattOS yet?