Author Topic: WattOS at organisation and/or company  (Read 3053 times)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
WattOS at organisation and/or company
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »
Before I continue to proceed, I wanted to ask the question on whether it's allowed for me to use WattOS at the non-profit organization I am working for currently.

Also on behalf of a friend if it's allowed to be used in a (small) company as a replacement for his work computer (Windows install where all he needs is Firefox) as we are unsure how licencing works and all.
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WattOS at organisation and/or company
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »
Short answers : yes and yes
Longer answers : there is no licence-based limitation on place of use, neither in not-for-profit nor in for-profit organisations.   You do not need activation nor "authenticity checks" as with some other OSes. 
The limitations are that you can't sell the code as a product, and if you modify the code (which IS permitted) then any modifications have the same licence as the original.   Your intended uses are no different to installing and using in your own home. 
This link discusses the issues - some of the discussion is not helpful, but in general it covers a lot of the territory :
https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/1399/can-gpl-licenced-software-be-used-in-corporate-environments
And if you do become keen to modify the code then you can read great detail regarding the GPL licensing in the FAQ at the Free Software Foundation website.

I'll leave any finer points to someone else    :-)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
Thanks for the information. WattOS won't be modified other than the usual installations, nor would it be sold. For both it's basically office computer related.

^_^
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »
Hi CharlieK -

Thanks for asking, but you can use wattOS for whatever you like with no obligations :)

I have even had a company use it for their netbooks they sold, so its truly free and open...

Of course support here is best effort and free (and I am slow sometimes). If you want/need professional support with SLA's , or per incident help, feel free to contact me directly to discuss that.

Good luck and have fun :)

biff