Author Topic: Explanation for resource usage difference needed  (Read 574 times)

smhardesty

• watt-Tester
    • View Profile
Explanation for resource usage difference needed
« on: March 25, 2022, 06:24:23 PM »
I guess this is the best place for this question. If not, feel free to move it wherever it needs to be.

First, let me explain a little about how I use my web browser. It's not uncommon for me to have 20, 30, 40, or even more tabs open while I'm on the 'Net. I research a lot of stuff and leave each web page open while I compare info and cross reference stuff. I also have lots of tabs open when I start viewing videos on YouTube. When I do either of those things, after a while, Firefox will slow down and I have to either close the browser and reopen it or sometimes I just clear the memory using "about:memory" then I'll clear the History, Cookies, and Site Data and go back to browsing. This has been the "norm" since I started using Mint XFCE a few years ago.

Just now I was on the old laptop that has R10 installed on it and I noticed I had over 30 tabs open, but there was no noticeable slowdown. So, to experiment, I went out of my way to open 50 tabs, then started in watching YouTube videos while the original 50 tabs were still open. Still no noticeable slowdown. To be sure I wasn't imagining this, I opened my wife's Facebook account and started browsing through her timeline, being sure to view as many videos as I could. STILL, no slowdown.

So, here is my question for one of you that has more knowledge about the internal workings of a Linux operating system and Firefox web browser. What is the difference between how Mint XFCE &Firefox works and how WattOS R10 & Firefox works? Why does Firefox become clogged up and start running slowly on Mint XFCE, but runs perfectly on R10? Does WattOS just handle resources better than Mint XFCE?

Any suggestions or explanations will be greatly appreciated.