Author Topic: General Announcement  (Read 37102 times)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
General Announcement
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi all ! This is the area were the information on wattOS R11 will live.

We will be changing things up with development this time around as I would like a more transparent process, and to actually hit a release date. :) - Those of you who have been around know that has been sometimes a moving target. In any case, look for updates here next week on how that works. I have plans to put up a Kanban board that members can view and look at the development progress, programs, dates, and other information relative to wattOS.

Thanks for the patience, and support as always. Its a bit of a thankless job for folks here in the forums sometimes, but its always appreciated.

bob

• View Profile
Re: General Announcement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
wattOS R10 was great, looking forward to R11!!!!!!

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »
No worry boss, stay  8)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

... and when SOLVED, please edit thread title in first post! :)

CharlieK

• View Profile
    • Just my little website
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
I can't wait! Still using it on both systems and loving it!
Say Automobile ten times and it loses its meaning.
Say Coffee ten times and it continues to make me drool.

gideon277

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
I have been around from the beginning I have been absent from the board for a long while as work has been crazy.  I had to reregister but I remamber the days prior to the 64bit version etc.  Working with R10 right now and looking forward to R11.

meleeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
Really excited for the new release. hopefully will be stable for my system.

veggie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
Hello . Can you put scrot simple in WattOs 11 or just dont put it  ?  I would like to have scrot set like automatically ......we hit the print screen and the photo goes to the image  folder. In wattOs 10 when I hit the printscreen on the keyboard it send a pop up saying if I want to save it and so on. That is useles to me because I need to take several screenshots in seconds.
So If the scrot is set automatically to put the screenshot into the image folder that would be perfect. 

This is the only reason why I am not using WattOS 10. You could just take the scrot off in WattOs 11 and then I could install it. As it is now its worthless to me cause everytime I tried to screenshot it comes with that pop up thing saying if I want to save it where I want to save the screenshot etc .. thats a waste of time. I need to take several screenshots in seconds. Do you understand what I mean ?

Thank You
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:43:47 PM by veggie »

teejay

• wattOS Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:22:57 AM »
@veggie
If you want to use R10 but need that default changed, you might look at this :

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/42746/how-can-i-take-a-screenshot-in-lxde-using-scrot-and-the-print-screen-button-on-m   

It looks to me as if scrot config is in the file noted, so any change to add the "file location prompt" could be there too.   

If you are using microwatt, then you should got to the i3 FAQ.

leenie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »
Anyone can install scrot via synaptic.

veggie

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »
Obviously when I come here I already tried to uninstall what was there in WattOS10 but when I install it again it doesnt install by  default ... it comes with that same pop up thing etc......

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »
And now five months later...what is happening?  :)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way; http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 03:21:32 PM »
Hi Blaze - good question. Look for an update this weekend with details. Working on that now :)

blaze

• wattOS Veteran
  • blazing away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »
Very good answer!  8)

biffster

• wattOS - head nerd
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 03:12:02 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the patience - Below is a Trello board for those who would like to track progress of the various items, and periodically look for updates, comments, decisions, etc.

https://trello.com/b/EruMNqr2/wattos-r11-dev-test

The most relevant news you probably care about is "when, and what"

That will be that R11 will be released on 10-26, and will be a remaster of 17.10 :)

The plan there is to support it just like Ubuntu until July 2018. This gives folks something to try/play/test and use until R12 comes out which will be LTS just like Ubuntu and will occur a week following the release just like this one.

The most important thing that we will need between now and early October are suggestions, questions, and apps/things you would like to see. The Trello board will be the working canvas for this. The board is read only, but public, but I need a couple of trusted volunteers who will have access to add new requests, questions, topics to the board. Feel free to throw them here in the forums and they will get added also, but the board will be the "official" canvas of what is being done for this release. I would suggest we use this release just like Ubuntu does to try new things, looks at things and consider what we want our LTS R12 to look like :)

Of course Blaze and Leenie and Cheiron come to mind, but I am open to discussing others if you want to help contribute in a constructive way. The most important trait is to be available to help and add things, comment, discuss, etc. as needed. The tempo of things over the next 6 weeks will be much more active obviously than the previous 6 months :)

Onward and upward.....

Biff

prassee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 04:32:53 AM »
Iam using WattOS for a couple of months now and Iam happy using it.   Do guys have any plans to support Wayland by replacing X11. Especially for i3 there already exist a drop-in alternative called Sway (http://swaywm.org/) .