Forums » Tips and Tricks

Docky and xcompmgr

• 15 posts
    January 19, 2011 2:48 PM PST

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, BUT

I'm a huge fan of DOCKY and it runs well in lxde, but you need to have compositing enabled.  Compiz is WAY too much for me so I hit synaptic and installed xcompmgr and docky.

I needed to make xcompmgr and docky fire up on boot so compositing would work...this is what I did.

In LXterm type:

sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

at the end add

@xcompmgr
    @docky

Save, reboot.

You should have a nice little dockbar running.

Enjoy!

Brent

This post was edited by Brent F at January 25, 2011 1:47 PM PST
    • 52 posts
    January 19, 2011 6:51 PM PST
    That's some very helpful information for people who want to do this with their system, especially since Docky doesn't have an "autostart" option in its preference settings like some other docks do.
    • 31 posts
    March 24, 2011 6:20 AM PDT

Do you think the same will work for AWN?

• 563 posts
    March 24, 2011 3:01 PM PDT
    Yes it should. I have not used AWN for quite a while, but in an early alpha of wattOS (back in 08) I used it with Openbox and got it to autolaunch in a similar method mentioned above.
    • 21 posts
    March 30, 2011 3:57 AM PDT
    Harold Roberts said:

Do you think the same will work for AWN?

AWN works swell. The last desktop pic I posted has it running at the right. :)

• 21 posts
    August 18, 2011 5:38 AM PDT
    I tried this on R4, and it seems to work.
  • August 1, 2012 1:57 PM PDT
    I can never get Docky to work right on my old P-IV Dell. Seems like its too much prog for my system to handle. Dock disappears or locks up all the time.
    • 2 posts
    October 5, 2012 5:16 PM PDT
    A very helpful German LXDE user put up a YouTube demo showing the possibilities of the panel for creating a simple but configurable dock. If it doesn't bother you to put the wattOS panel at the top of the screen, then you can open up a new one at the bottom and give it all the attributes you wish (though not the Cairo whizzbangs!) just with the Panel Settings/Preferences window - geometry, applets, appearance, etc.
    • 31 posts
    October 5, 2012 7:12 PM PDT
    I'm using cairo dock now and am very happy with it. It is very snappy. I did configure a panel to be a dock at first, but I like all the extras that come with cairo dock like a waste basket & a weather app that really works. ZorinOS Lite has a dock for openbox that is called ADesk Bar, it works very well & there is also wbar in synaptic.