Forums » Suggestions

General

• May 27, 2012 2:55 PM PDT
    biff baxter said:

Post general suggestions here

can U please recommend the best Contact / address app for Watt OS? I'd like to use Thunderbird email client & the interface should be smooth. Thanx in advance for the time to respond

• 1 posts
    September 6, 2012 6:57 PM PDT
    Why not put in the "downloads" section a torrent for faster download? That would be really nice, but we would need seeders!. Just that, i mean, for not overcharging the servers and for us to have a faster download:)
    Eduardo
    • 53 posts
    September 10, 2012 8:35 PM PDT
    Please test releases v. WarrenEllis.com and Baidu.com; missing reasonable font subtitution in either case. [burns Hell Money] This working? Meanwhile I'm impressed that in 2GiB a 100MB update to get cups (and a bag of branded chips) installed, with Transmission, 25 tabs in Chrome, etc. undisturbed. Things still go IOwait-bound when I try enabling some scripts on penny-arcade.com site, but there it is. Maybe I should make a nice html5 browser/footprint/extension/arch(i686:par)/to-fit-on-8GB-usb3 selection vector-graphic for the next poll...
    • 3 posts
    November 19, 2012 4:46 PM PST

Hi, I installed wattOS last night, with a successful outcome, after testing the live cd.

I needed a linux with newer glibc, to use with some new versions of music software

built with such newer lib.

It was difficult to install a working wvdial for a usb 3g modem, after searching many ubuntu topics,

I almost had permissions and groups figured out, but ran out of time, and had to overwrite the /etc/ppp folder,

from a foreign install that was working. To many fiddly bits, not enough music.

(After installing wvdial and dependencies manually, it would connect to the net, but pppd could

not see the connection, so no browsing. This occurs elsewhere too, not a wattOS fault.)

I then added a couple of KX studio repositories, and installed the software I was desiring.

Things went very well, no issues related to wattOS. Thankyou to all who have slaved away

at a labor of love. It is nice to find a custom version of ubuntu, that still fit on a CD.

There was also pcmanfm trouble, where it saw all drives as normal user, but as sudo,

it did not. So I had to open drives first as guest, before I could transfer admin files as

sudo. The pcmanfm file sorting was also broken, sorting by name, was accomplished

by choosing sorting by type. Not a wattOS issue.

My suggestion is to include a working wvdial, and another small filemanager,

maybe Midnight Commander.

On a side note, the green bulb logo conflicts with the soft toned default theme. Perhaps

the raindrop of the splashscreen could be used in the bulb, with a very thin line surrounding it?

This post was edited by chan yen at November 19, 2012 4:49 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    November 24, 2012 11:05 AM PST
    Thanks for the feedback Chan Yen - its always appreciated.

biff
    • 9 posts
    November 25, 2012 6:26 AM PST
    The Green Light-Bulb is so distinctive !!!
    Stand-out Logo.
    Very different from any others.
    If my only problem was a "Green Light-Bulb",
    then I would be a very Lucky Old Geek.

My question is this:
    Have you considered placing WattOS into a SFS format (Squash File System) ?

• 170 posts
    November 25, 2012 6:38 AM PST
    What about a soft toned green theme to match the lightbulb? I love the lightbulb!
  • January 2, 2013 6:43 PM PST
    I posted this as well in the R7 suggestions but maybe others can benefit since this could work for existing installs:

Since this is for older, slower boxes: Consider something like the pf kernels.

They are already patched with things like BFS, BFQ, Tuxonice and more - could really help with older gear and improve interactivity.

Ready builds exist for Ubuntu and Mint.

Check here:

http://pf.natalenko.name

Thx

D