Forums » Suggestions

General

• 563 posts
    December 19, 2010 12:00 PM PST

Post general suggestions here

• 53 posts
    December 23, 2010 7:41 PM PST

The frames color in RedNotebook should be something other than gray! Who heard of a program -with- spaces like that that wasn't cobbled up for some niche vertical app and never finalized. warm tan, mustard, tiny tilings, themed otherwise; all fine.  Hm.  Got it to light burgundy instead of white and heather green instead of gray, but it still wants a texture.

This post was edited by Saigua Tang at January 14, 2011 10:06 PM PST
    • 53 posts
    December 26, 2010 2:06 PM PST
    In with the 'latest news' and such:
    Chinese and French Grocery store 'flightplan' tools (differential GPS put to task making coupons work); NYMag.com (and other, with language preferences) movie reviews and appropriate ticketing and differential-diagnosis blog discussion sites or appropriate search.
    • 9 posts
    January 2, 2011 5:53 AM PST

Selected during Install, Automatic Log-in  Does Not!

Ha! Each Ubuntu (derivitive) Install will re-write the MBR to point to its (new) location.
    So, I go back and re-install the preferred Ubuntu (derivitive) in sda1, with fresh MBR to sda1.
    Need to look into grub2 docs for another method.

Interesting.

• 9 posts
    January 14, 2011 1:23 AM PST

I have a suggestion.  I think you should replace your round light bulb symbol with the new curly light bulb.  The round light bulb symbolizes the past, and a waste of energy.  The new curly light bulb is more in line with the now part of wattos.  It's also energy saving, wich is more in line with lxde.  Besides i think it would look better, and more up to date.  Ok i'll keep my 2 cents in my pocket for that suggestion.

• 52 posts
    January 14, 2011 8:53 AM PST
    They do make CFLs that are the same shape as incandescent light bulbs, I have on in the lamp next to my computer desk.

I have a suggestion for the forum. We need a way to report spam/abuse when we see it. I know you're online a lot and you'll get to it but if we had a way to report it, you'd get an alert in your e-mail and could go straight to the post(s) that had been reported and deal with it faster. Just food for thought.
    • 9 posts
    January 14, 2011 9:13 AM PST
    Randy and Chris,
    Replace the LIght Bulb avatar with an LED ?
    We should draw a Giant Light Emitting Diode, with a lightning bolt extending ?
    That is as green as green can get :)
    • 52 posts
    January 14, 2011 9:37 AM PST
    I'm pretty sure he meant a CFL. I saw a tutorial a while back for making one in blender (the squiggly kind.) I might have to try out that tutorial.
    Though, you're right, an LED is as green as you can get. :)
    • 563 posts
    January 14, 2011 10:08 AM PST
    Hi Chris,

There is not a spam report directly in the forum, but if you click on the users profile name that posts it, you will see a report option with a red flag right under their name. That will alert me to look specifically at that user as I battle spammers daily :)...tks...biff
    • 52 posts
    January 14, 2011 10:36 AM PST
    Thanks for the info, Biff. Next time I see spam, I'll be sure to do that.
    • 52 posts
    January 14, 2011 11:13 AM PST
    Here you go:

http://evilgenius180.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wattbulb01.png

Just a quickie I did in Inkscape.
    • 9 posts
    January 14, 2011 3:05 PM PST
    that's exactly the bulb i was talking about.
    • 563 posts
    January 14, 2011 8:08 PM PST
    Nicely done...makes me think I should have a new logo submission and poll to see what the next one looks like for wattOS. :)
    • 53 posts
    January 14, 2011 11:43 PM PST
    Lampwise, HID lamps are more efficient than CFLs or LEDs, but they can't be turned on and off casually (or the bulb lifetime is forfeit in large parts; there are at times shutters on the car systems s.t. it appears closer to that way.) At any rate, whoever gets cranking further in Inkscape (it loads on LiveCD! In under 171MB! Woo+!) may feel free to integrate 3 or 4 types (as with Philips all-weather patio bulbs) in the art-glass tradition of her liking. Heh heh.

Yes, but have the button dynamically named, either at random (Report depravity. Report deprecitude. Report abuse. Report herpes-like superinfection. Report inchoate ghastliness. Report whole redactability. etc.) or per poll ascription in profiles. Unless there's a little symbol (bar across kicking someone down stairs, etc.) How awesome is it that R3's been released 5 days and already needs a forum map?
  • January 15, 2011 4:40 AM PST
    How about letting the more knowlegable forum members post tutorials concerning wattOS R3?
    • 52 posts
    January 15, 2011 8:02 AM PST
    @Biff: What font did you use for the wattOS logo? I used an online font identifier and found a free one that's close enough but I'm curious as to what you used and to see how close I got. ;)
    • 563 posts
    January 15, 2011 1:00 PM PST
    Colin - anyone who wants to post tutorials is more than welcome too :)...help is always welcome. I have not turned on pictures and videos for anyone (something the website can do) as I am waiting for things to settle a bit. After I trust a particular person I elevate their rights so they can do things like post pics, videos and the like. I am just being cautious to keep scammers/spammers at bay.
    • 563 posts
    January 15, 2011 1:02 PM PST
    Chris - I dont remember, I will have to fire up another machine and look. I did the work in gimp and picked the font in there. I will try to get to that a little later. tks...
    • 52 posts
    January 15, 2011 1:14 PM PST
    http://www.ffonts.net/Urdu_Emad_Nastaliq.font

That's what I found that was closest to the font you used. It might be the same, it might not be but it's very close. I got a lot of false positives with the font identifier but that one was closest on the "a" which has a distinct shape and was closest on the other letters also. (and it's free)
  • January 15, 2011 7:54 PM PST
    Thanks for the reply Biff
    • 10 posts
    January 16, 2011 3:47 PM PST
    Nothing wrong with the original bulb. Looks cool!
    • 10 posts
    January 17, 2011 5:40 PM PST
    Hi Biff,
    I'm still no further advanced in getting my 3G broadband modem to work in wattOS.

I know you have your hands full developing and debugging the system, but could I respectfully make a suggestion.

Grab one of your semi computer literate friends, give them a virgin copy of wattOS and a 3G dongle and ask them to fire it up and connect to the net using all three methods. Wired, wireless router (wifi) and wireless broadband.

Just watch them struggle to get up and running. Note the difficulties they have and incorporate a solution or fix into the operating system.

You could be a leader on this! If wicd will not cater for all connection methods then use network-manager instead. ( I must admit that wicd looks more polished than NM, but it's useless unless it works).

Or maybe, release a version of wattOS with network-manager installed instead of wicd. For the life of me I can't get it installed. You may just please a whole bunch of people who only/mainly use wireless broadband in a small laptop. Lot's of users are moving away from a static connection into wireless, but unfortunately this aspect of Linux seems to cause the most angst. It simply puts people off Linux permanently.

Please accept my comments as constructive and (hopefully) helpful.

Cheers,
    Ralf
    • 563 posts
    January 19, 2011 7:50 AM PST
    Thanks for the feedback Ralf. I understand that wattOS is not perfect and there is light information on the new release. I am working hard to make it easier with each release. Each new release is interesting as they present new challenges. Its fun to watch the shift in technology as time progresses. The last release of wattOS (June 2010) I received virtually zero requests for 3G USB support or issues, but as users continue to migrate to more mobile technologies outside of traditional WiFi I have seen a pretty dramatic uptick in that interest.

I will put some new instructions up in the coming week for how to do some of these various cusomizations so folks can make devices like these work.

Feedback and criticism is always welcome, I accept all comments.

tks....biff
    • 10 posts
    January 19, 2011 4:00 PM PST
    Hello Biff,

That's welcoming news. And thank you for your quick acknowledgement. A solution to this would be the icing on the cake. If I can be of help, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Ralf
    • 2 posts
    January 19, 2011 11:26 PM PST
    Is it possible to get an alternate (text-based) install CD?

I'm trying to install to an old machine and it can't run the installer from the Live CD.