Forums » Suggestions

Where are all the new members?

• 13 posts
    December 27, 2011 2:56 PM PST

Just wondering if all you current users of WattOS are promoting it in any way. I've personally recommended WattOS to two other fellow Linux users. One has already installed and was really impressed.

What do we need to do to get the word out? Seems to me Biff has done a terrific job and I'd sure hate to see things dwindle away due to lack of interest. Hmmmmm, a thought just crossed my mind. Guess I'd best put a link to PlanetWatt on my own web site.

Let's all spread the word!!!

• 563 posts
    December 27, 2011 4:48 PM PST

Hi Steve, Thanks for the kind words. You are correct I do not do a ton of promotion, but the folks that are here usually stick around.....

I do have a @wattOSLinux twitter account. wattOS is also listed on distrowatch.com and has been sitting solidly around 52-54 in the top 100 distros and has been on the list for the last 2 years. There is a good bit of traffic that comes from there. wattOS has been around since July 2008.

Its a small group, but I promise its not going to die or go away. I am fully committed to wattOS as a labor of love. I have made zero money on it...The next release will be in January for everyone to try. :)

Feel free to spread the word and ask me anything. I travel a lot so I might be slow at times, but I do read all messages.

biff

• 13 posts
    December 27, 2011 4:56 PM PST
    Hey, Biff

Yep. I'm for sure gonna spread the word. I'm really totally impressed with WattOS. It's so much faster and seems more stable than even Mint 9 on my boxes. I really like having the Ubuntu repositories to add the apps I prefer.

If there is ever anything I can do to help, just holler.
    • 61 posts
    December 30, 2011 3:51 AM PST

Good question, Steve!
    I spread the word at about 10 forums (Linux- and discussion-forums several countries). But I'm still using R3, because of some minor problems with bookmarks-copying in browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Midori. But from time to time I use WattOS (R3). :smile: It is great. All works fine. I'm also testing other things, so I'm not always with WattOS.

This post was edited by Gerrit rijnsma at December 30, 2011 3:54 AM PST
    • 53 posts
    January 1, 2012 12:01 AM PST
    I watched a few sneekylinux videos on YouTube lately, and wow, there are some good things out there from MacPup to ZorinOS and just using EagleEye(.sourceforge.net) on systems that can stand it (fancy filesystem zooming which isn't fancy OpenGL though it still requires ubuntu, recent videocards, and enough DDR2/DDR3.)

Happy Solar New Year! May all your cars hover as desired.
    • 2 posts
    March 8, 2012 12:46 AM PST
    I administer a Scientific Linux Forum and have recommended WattOS there under "Other Distros of Interest". I'm putting it on my Sandy Bridge laptop whereas SL is on my Precision. Switchable graphics brings a question to mind :)

Yes, WattOS deserves some attention.
    • 563 posts
    March 8, 2012 8:29 AM PST

There has been a lot of interest in this release. The sub-numbers for "members" do not reflect it, but the downloads of the ISO file are up significantly over previous releases.

So good stuff all around :)

biff
    • 2 posts
    March 8, 2012 7:02 PM PST

I'll help anyway I can....the forum is a great tool for expanding a distro :)  R5 really is a pretty slick, nice distro....hands down!

This post was edited by joutlan _ at March 8, 2012 7:03 PM PST
    • 563 posts
    March 9, 2012 10:07 AM PST
    Thanks joutlan - appreciate the kind words. I will take any forum help I can get. Leenie helps keep the spammers at bay, and I try to keep up with technical answers, but I travel a lot and at times it takes me a day or two to respond because of my travels and "real" job :)

-tks....biff
    • 7 posts
    March 15, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
    Hey there ^.^ I'm one of those fairly new users, and I love it so far, I already spread it to one of my friends as well.
    • 53 posts
    March 15, 2012 11:28 PM PDT
    Maybe spread this out to the 'I fought the stability of ${os_release} and the ${solution} won matrix (or add a Twitter client?)
    • 3 posts
    November 19, 2012 5:09 PM PST

A new user, previous ubuntu failed at the videocard detection, but this

newer one works. As I read more about linux, found in redhat and debian

doorstop books, I feel even more dangerous than when blundering through

commercial products.

• 563 posts
    November 24, 2012 11:03 AM PST
    Hi Chan - Its good to be dangerous :) - Its nice that there is no hidden area you cannot dig into with Linux. One of the reason I love it is that I can break it, and blame nobody but myself and then dig myself back out of trouble...ha