Forums » wattOS R8

need help with a 686 kernel

• 94 posts
    May 14, 2014 10:35 PM PDT

i need to know what command do i enter in terminal to install a i686 kernel? btw this for wattos r8.

• 563 posts
    May 16, 2014 8:55 AM PDT

Hi david..not sure what exact kernel you want other than pae...but I will give an example that works from command line (you can get in synaptic also)

first be sure you do an 'apt-get update' and you are connected to the internet.

I could explain all the options, kernels and such, but I am going to go the quickest path for this response. then you can always go from there - this will install the 3.13 pae kernel from backports which will match the non-pae version shipped.

enter the command

'sudo apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-3.13-0.bpo.1-686-pae'

once done, reboot and you will now have two kernels to choose from - the original non-pae and new pae

also once you run htop or whatever you want, you will see your multiple cpu's, etc. I would keep the non-pae kernel for a bit until you have tested and are comfortable all things are working as you expect.

tks,

biff

• 94 posts
    May 16, 2014 9:12 AM PDT

thanks btw i tired updating my system but i get my password is wrong even if it's correct?

• 563 posts
    May 16, 2014 9:22 AM PDT

Command line, or synaptic or update manager?

If via synaptic or update manager, there is a known installer bug/issue thats stickied at the top of the R8 forum.

enter the command 'gksu-properties' and change to menu value in popup to sudo (its probably set to su) - this fixes the password bug with update manager and synaptic.

• 94 posts
    May 16, 2014 9:24 AM PDT

it was set to su, funny it was set to sudo in live mode.