Forums » wattOS R8

Browser wattOS

• 563 posts
    February 8, 2014 3:30 PM PST

So throw your two cents in..

I would likely put them into two camps for us..

1. full desktop (EG. Mate' and LXDE)

2. lightweight (lower spec 32bit only) so maybe microwatt - ARM

Chromium, iceweasel/firefox, Qupzilla, Midori, etc..

fire away

• 92 posts
    February 9, 2014 5:04 AM PST

I prefer to use ESR versions of Firefox - I can imagine that some users want the newest Fx features, but I can't recall feeling "left out" from anything useful.   The future changes to Fx UI seems to be Mozilla's own Metro/Unity moment. So, Fx ESR for the full desktop, with "newest" Fx in the repo.

Chromium is quick and easy for some tasks, and hence useful.   It would be better if it didn't come with Chrome/Google baggage, but that's a minor irritation.

I have used Qupzilla and (lesser) Midori, but not recently.

These two seem determined to self-harm; as fast as they deserve - and get - good reviews, they produce an update version with "difficulties".  For example, Qupzilla has been identified as phoning home, even when auto-update is disabled - not smart in the current environment - and also removing any structure in imported bookmarks.   The search term "Midori problems" gets many recent online posts. 

Whether the documented issues are fixable for microwatt, or already fixed, I'm unaware.   If not, then I'd lean toward Chromium as "lighter" browser. 

• 4 posts
    February 9, 2014 11:28 PM PST

LXDE and Firefox.

This post was edited by Ariel Galil at February 9, 2014 11:28 PM PST
    • 19 posts
    February 10, 2014 5:33 AM PST

LXDE and Chromium.

• 16 posts
    February 11, 2014 3:45 AM PST

Personally, I prefer Iceweasel but chromium would probably be a better overall choice, Rob.

• 2 posts
    March 14, 2014 5:25 PM PDT

Personally, I say Iceweasel 22+   like the iceweasel 24 build ,   it is stable as a rock and solid + usable extentions from firefox.    

I always had website  [heavy ones] work the best on iceweasel smooth as butter as opposed to others including chromium and that one eats alot resources when running

---PLUS the baggage of collecting date like google chrome does---

Iceweasel please - latest

• 1 posts
    March 18, 2014 10:16 AM PDT

Hi all,

First a praise. I couldn't tell you how many versions of Linux I have tried and I have to say that WattOS at it's current stage of 7.5 lxde is fantastic. I am dealing with many older machines and without having the horsepower, this distribution is quick and has pretty much all that is necessary to boot live for most general purpose needs.

I would hate to make changes to something so fantastic.  With that being said chromium is perfect for most use on LXDE.  I hate that it's so huge but there are certain things we can't skimp on for the medium size build of LXDE.  If this was the smaller pekwm then I'd understand a browser without flash.  Too often I am helping out many people during emergencies when their system is down. I hand them a live WattOS7.5 cd and they boot up and can do their surfing for most websites that are important to them. Youtube is one of them which requires flash and that is built in.   If you do decide on iceweasel, I would pray that the flash plugin is also preinstalled on the Live Distribution so that the user doesn't have to manually click on anything extra just to get browsing.

Thanks for such a nice fast and small ubuntu based OS.

• 563 posts
    March 18, 2014 3:40 PM PDT

Thanks for the kind words Mike. Yes the plan is to have functionality on par with the current 7.5 version. So things like flash and wireless will be intact and functional for liveCD and all but minimal install setups.

tks.

biff

• 4 posts
    April 19, 2014 9:36 AM PDT

I have used Qupzilla for a long time..with few problems...I also have "Links" for times when i know i wont be needing flash etc.

• 6 posts
    April 21, 2014 12:29 AM PDT

Hi, Biff,

I'm still on R6 (which was an LXDE-only release) as I tend to keep to LTS versions of the Ubuntu-base.

I'm happy to continue with LXDE on my Pentium 4 PC, with Chromium as the browser. I don't really like Midori.

I won't complain if you choose Iceweasel/Firefox, but would probably still install Chromium after installation anyway.

POST-EDIT: I've just realised R8 will be based on Debian. So the problem of Ubuntu's releases being short-lived (save for LTS) is gone.  That's a pro.

The con for me is that WattOS has been my go-to lightweight 'Buntu derivative since R4, to enjoy some of their PPAs. Looks like that run has come to an end.

I'll still try R8 because I like Watt, but I'll keep r6 for the moment since it'll be supported to 2017. Now I have to look for another lightweight Buntu derivative that I like (never warmed up to Lubuntu).

This post was edited by asqwerth w at April 21, 2014 1:03 AM PDT