Forums » wattOS R8

Version of Debian

• 563 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:35 PM PST

So...I am considering using Wheezy for the "main" release (including the latest security update after 2-8-14)

Also considering however a single testing release in addition to Wheezy (so a single Jessie version to play with at the same time) as the mainstream Wheezy release for the masses.

OR

Do we just go with Wheezy or Jessie...I have not tested Jessie enough to know how much breakage might result yet, but figured I would throw out the question.

enjoy....biff

• 105 posts
    February 6, 2014 11:14 PM PST

Wheezy is tried tested and trusted so stick with that ..

could always do an experiemental jessie microwatt prehaps ??

• 94 posts
    February 7, 2014 2:31 PM PST

stick with stable wheezy.

• 92 posts
    February 7, 2014 2:33 PM PST

Doesn't "not tested Jessie enough to know how much breakage might result" say it all ? 

My impression was that you would use x.5 releases to try new ideas, so that R8 (or 8.0 for precision) would be a stable wattOS/LXDE, plus wattOS/MATE, plus microwatt. 

That approach appeals to me, and since there's already a key change to Debian base, then I encourage a solid R8 built on Wheezy.  

Less post-facto maintenance on 8.0 means more time to try the 8.5 options.

• 563 posts
    February 8, 2014 1:14 PM PST

I think teejay's logic is sensible...(along with others) so I will plan on the latest Wheezy which as of today was just updated to 7.4 . 

I will likely have a few updates to some of the core they have (additional repos) but the core will be stable and tested of course. But things like Mate' desktop and a few other items will be pulled in from other sources. 

More details on that soon as I am testing now....some invites for early ISO's to go out in the next 10 days or so . 

biff

• 94 posts
    February 8, 2014 7:58 PM PST

biff can you add the wireless driver tool my wifi card is too new, i can transfer data up to 300mb a sec.

• 4 posts
    February 9, 2014 12:54 PM PST

Hello, Biff

I'm one of the masses! Currently I'm enjoying the LTS R6 and also have it running on 3 other people's

machines. They rely on me, because they know even less than I do about computers (poor fools!).

I'm looking forward to the LTS R8 and the switch to Debian: whilst only having a hazy understanding of the issues it seems to me that Ubuntu is breaking away on its own, so sticking with it is a gamble.

But, I've tried a couple of Debian spin-offs in the past (Minino and Swift) and managed to

break them when applying updates. (This could, of course, have been down to me being an idiot, and not understanding the differences between Debian and Ubuntu..)  

So, could you please make the updating process as idiot-proof as possible (if it is not so already) for

those of us who only know Ubuntu?

• 19 posts
    February 10, 2014 5:37 AM PST

Debian Wheezy would be the most sensible solution but right now I'm running Semplice 6 (based on Debian Sid) and I have to admit it runs very stable and very fast (OpenBox thought).