Forums » wattOS R8

wattOS R8 Dev update

• 563 posts
    February 4, 2014 7:25 PM PST

If you have not read the blog post I did today - head on over and take a read. I will save you the details but the basics are.

- Changing from Ubuntu to Debian

- updating graphics/look and feel

- keeping LXDE and Mate' and potentially adding ARM support

Fire away with any questions or comments...I know some will not be pleased, and some will, and that is the nature of change :), but I really feel like this is the right direction and will help us continue to support older hardware and a wider range.

I will answer the first question that will likely come up...

Yes - the plan is to have wireless support in the liveCD :) - Still in early testing, but if you want to volunteer to early test wireless so we can make sure any chipsets/bugs/etc are clear, let me know.

This post was edited by biff baxter at February 4, 2014 7:27 PM PST
    • 16 posts
    February 5, 2014 3:14 AM PST

Biff, I'm more than willing to test for you again, Rob.

This post was edited by Rob Emmett at February 5, 2014 3:16 AM PST
    • 92 posts
    February 5, 2014 3:28 PM PST

Yep, happy to test.   Ready when you are.

• 4 posts
    February 11, 2014 1:12 PM PST

I'm also whant to test...

• 170 posts
    February 15, 2014 4:52 PM PST

I would like to test microwatt.

• 563 posts
    February 20, 2014 5:06 PM PST

Hey testers - looks like I will have an alpha for some of you in the next week (maybe even sooner). I am running on 64bit now daily as part of my normal "next version" testing - I eat my own dogfood first...ha . Will probably have a 32bit and 64bit LXDE variant ready.

Look for direct messages from me for downloads.

Then maybe one other surprise if I am really able to not sleep :)

• 563 posts
    February 20, 2014 5:14 PM PST
    Leenie Gilmore said:

I would like to test microwatt.

Hey Leenie - how do you feel about openbox? I am considering going straight openbox for microwatt/Pi versions. If I can add some simple tools to it to make it intuitive and manageable, it seems the most logical.

**edit** or possibly JWM..I used that years ago, and it was really...really light, but gave you some basics that a normal user could deal with. (like a start button and window borders).

Thoughts?

This post was edited by biff baxter at February 20, 2014 5:22 PM PST
    • 4 posts
    February 20, 2014 11:35 PM PST

I'm using microwatt 7.5 on an old laptop, I'm RTL languge user and Pekw flip the windows titles to LTR.

• 170 posts
    February 23, 2014 8:51 AM PST

I am very interested in openbox and JWM. Both run light. There is also iceWM....

• 105 posts
    February 23, 2014 9:39 AM PST

i'd rather pekwm which microwatt uses to be honest than iceWM.

• 170 posts
    February 24, 2014 5:14 AM PST

I guess it goes with what we are familiar with. iceWM is very light and still functional: 

http://l3net.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/a-memory-comparison-of-light-linux-desktops-part-3/

This post was edited by Leenie Gilmore at February 24, 2014 5:16 AM PST
    • 563 posts
    February 27, 2014 6:13 PM PST

Hi folks..just a quick touch. On the road, get back to wattOS world HQ Friday night late (2-28 GMT -8) Those of you who might be early astronauts will likely get something from me over the weekend or early next week as an ISO download. Been on a clean 64bit Mate install for the last 10 days...Will  probably send out LXDE first as some Mate' bugs have cropped up that I am looking at further., and I need some LXDE testing.... Also might throw an ARM ISO to play with since I have two PI's I am messing with also ..

tks,

biff

• 94 posts
    March 13, 2014 7:55 PM PDT

it's been quite.

• 563 posts
    March 18, 2014 3:41 PM PDT

Hi David...yes it has...mostly for me because of my revenue generating activities (work) getting in the way..but fear not. There is some good stuff coming soon :)

biff

• 563 posts
    March 27, 2014 12:10 PM PDT

Greetings all,

Things have been percolating along still. I know you have all been patiently waiting. I am planning a series of chats over the next few weeks (will post dates on those this weekend). However I do have dates I am comfortable with sharing so you can all plan :)

- Beta testing of images - (starts on 4-11 - concludes on 4-25) will be a series of ISO's sent to identified folks. Wanted to do it sooner, but we all know how that has gone.

- Bug fix and freeze 4-26 to 5-7

- Release of all images on 5-10-2014 - New day! wattOS 8 released

I will issue a press release on that day to distrowatch and othres so they know as this will be an "all at once" release.

Enjoy - Biff

This post was edited by biff baxter at March 27, 2014 12:11 PM PDT
    • 94 posts
    March 27, 2014 1:48 PM PDT

can i be one of the testers?

• 105 posts
    March 29, 2014 12:25 AM PDT

drop me a link for the test also

• 563 posts
    March 29, 2014 11:09 PM PDT

Of course :) 

First test ISO will be an LXDE 32bit NON PAE kernel. So bring out your low spec machines and give it a spin. you will get a direct message and link from me (previous testers and admins of course are part of the group.)

The beta ISO for this is done. I will be getting it packaged up and we can chat about it on IRC over the next couple days for any specific questions. 

Have a good day....biff

• 105 posts
    March 30, 2014 12:55 AM PDT

Many thanks.

I have just formatted my hard drive on my test pc so should be a good match. HP Pavillion 471uk. single core P4, 512mb ram (fully maxed) 64mb dedicated graphics and something like a 80gb hard drive.

It's what i use for all the watt testing to date :)

• 94 posts
    March 30, 2014 1:10 AM PDT

the only thing i have as a test box, is a acer laptop with a pentium dual core at 2.13ghz with 4gb of ram and a 500gb hdd. graphics card is intel hd.

• 11 posts
    April 3, 2014 4:41 AM PDT

So the final decision is that R8 will be based on Wheezy?  TBH, I have never tried a Debian based distro that operated as smoothly as a Ubuntu based distro.  I really want Sparkylinux to work well and I've tried it a number of times but there are always huge glitches. 

Also, is the remastersys capability going to be ported over?

• 11 posts
    April 3, 2014 4:45 AM PDT

Also, I have a few extra laptops laying around with different hardware so I would enjoy trying out the beta versions.  They range from an AMD E-350 to a Core I-7 and a few stops in between.  I keep spare hard drives on hand for the fun of testing...

• 92 posts
    April 10, 2014 5:11 PM PDT

Hope the openSSL issues haven't ruined development ! 

Does it look like a MATE version will make it to R8 ?   I acknowledge the matters raised by some users of the R7.5 first-release, and have seen the DW report of MATE problems, so I can understand reluctance to commit to a MATE release.   That said, MATE did sit nicely on R7.5 when I tried it here. 

Looking forward to testing.

• 563 posts
    April 11, 2014 2:00 PM PDT

It has increased work short term :) - but things are on track.

For those of you testing, there will be another update this weekend on the 32bit image, and the new 64bit image as well. Selected testers look for personal emails/messages from me on that once ready.