Forums » Suggestions

Join Forces with Other Projects

• 9 posts
    August 25, 2013 10:41 AM PDT

Hi,

First thing first, please do not get me wrong, I have nothing but good intentions over here so please, try to understand where I'm coming from.

Usually, we always see Fork Projects from the Main Ones and it happened a lot. The only kind of join forces I have seen so far is the upcoming team up between LXDE and Qt.

http://blog.lxde.org/?p=1046

This is usually rare, very rare if you ask me. This is IMHO a very good move regardless of Technical Details.

What is all this has to do with WattOS?

Well, WattOS is an LXDE Linux Distribution based on Ubuntu.

I am just thinking loudly here ...

How about wattOS can merge too with any other project? while you can keep the name and use it as a Community Spin but everyone join forces and collaborate under one umbrella. So, the process of teaming up with other taem should never affect anything but will improve everything from more users to better experience, etc.

What is your opinion? I'm very much interested to know :)

Thank you!

• September 7, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

I'm not going to do a should/shouldn't here, but if that is to ever happen LXLE could make a good candidate, though if you read the about page you'll see the chances of that decreasing (LXLE doesn't, for example, do a rebranding of the OS). Joining forces with a Debian developer (and have a debian edition released, based on testing) might be a good idea, as well.........

This post was edited by Deleted Member at September 7, 2013 3:31 AM PDT
    • 9 posts
    September 7, 2013 2:07 PM PDT
    Dave . said:

I'm not going to do a should/shouldn't here, but if that is to ever happen LXLE could make a good candidate, though if you read the about page you'll see the chances of that decreasing (LXLE doesn't, for example, do a rebranding of the OS). Joining forces with a Debian developer (and have a debian edition released, based on testing) might be a good idea, as well.........

WOW, finally someone has replied? :D

I thought no one will :)

Thanks for posting, I was thinking when I proposed this idea to join forces with another LXDE Project and that project, IMHO, needs to be active and powerful to help wattOS the most.

I'd disagree to join forces with LXLE. I have my reasons.

As for Debian, I don't think they need such idea and the one time which is the last time I was over there (Debian Community), they were so rude and not friendly at all so, no thanks :D

I have some candidates in mind. But, I'd like to read what you think :)

Thanks!

• 563 posts
    September 13, 2013 1:51 PM PDT

Hi Ali - thanks for the question. I think it might happen some day, but right now I am pretty happy just staying small and working on our little project here. 

I love the fact that Linux continues to grow, and I think next summer when XP get the official boot, I think there will be even more desktop linux. Not to mention a lot of people are using linux via android without even knowing it :)

Windows 8 is not so great, and as dollars move away from that traditional desktop, I see a gap between the people who will try to transition to mobile devices and other form factors, and the others who will stay and a whole generation of people who do not care about Windows...so I still see bright times ahead for simple Linux desktops that get the job done.

There will always be two categories of computer users - consumers of information, and creators of information. Consumers are making the move to more mobile and tablet form factors and creators still need and use the desktop form factor (for now).

I love the greater Linux community and help people via IRC on ubuntu and other chats. 

• 11 posts
    October 13, 2013 3:57 AM PDT

With the horror that is Windows 8, many are beginning to look for a replacement.  I may be strange but I am not attacted to the bloated do everthing type of distro.  While I have fast hardware, I still prefer a lean, efficient distro that lets me choose what to install.  I really like Mate and now that Watt has Mate and remastersys - it's just about perfect as is.  Getting to big and trying to be all things to all people has hurt some distros - small and focused is not a bad thing...